Project Name: Enforcement of Local Institutional Laws Focusing Public Awareness through Sustainable Good Governance Approach (ELFOS).
Project Duration: 21st October 2009 to 31st December 2012.
Funded by: The Royal Danish Embassy.
Fund Allocated: 12450000 BDT.
Implemented by: NOWZUWAN, LNGO & ASHIKA, PNGO.
Project Working Area:
- Rangamati Sadar Upazila
- Naniarchar Upazila
- Kawkhali Upazila
Improve transparency, accountability and responsiveness of the duty bearers in CHT for delivering basic services to the people.
- Awareness of the people of CHT about relevant laws, rules and procedures for claiming the available rights and services enhanced.
- Institutional capacity of the local government bodies strengthened.
- Access to basic services improved in intervention areas through facilitating the coordination of the relevant institutions.
The primary stakeholder of the project are as follows:
- Indigenous communities in selected upzaillas of Rangamati district
- Traditional and elected local government leaders
- Media persons
- Collection of relevant laws, rules and procedures for claiming the available rights and services;
- Participatory training topics identification through workshops at district level;
- Development of training manuals on identified focus topics such as i) good governance and basic rights; ii) state law, customary law and land issues iii) basic rights, customary law and state law;
- Awareness campaign on focus topics through group discussion at union level
- Organizing awareness raising events and workshops
- Workshop on Land issues and Rules and Responsibilities for Traditional Leaders
- Identification of potential training participants such as Headmen and Karbaris, CBOs, CSOs, NGOs, Media persons, SPs, LGIs.
- Relevant laws, rules and procedures for claiming the available rights and services collated, published and disseminated.
- Rights Based Approach (RBA) Training materials developed, updated and used.
- Enhanced participation of community people at different level in CHT in the decision making process on the issues affecting their lives.
- Performance of duty bearers increased as per Citizen Charter.
- One information resource center functioning managed by PNGO.
- Functioning capacity of CHT institutions increased at upazilla and district level.
- A functional relationship increased at upazilla, district and regional level among institutions.